Sunday, July 20, 2008

Puja Ceremony

Yesterday I attended a beautiful Hindu thanksgiving ceremony, or a Puja ceremony, at my friend Anu's house. I was so pleased to be invited by her brother and that they allowed me to extend the invitation to my new neighbour, Gina as well.

I didn't know a lot about the ceremony when I arrived and learned a little bit from watching and from Anu: "The puja that was performed yesterday by my brother and sister in law is a Hanuman Puja. Hanuman is worshipped as a symbol of physical strength, persevance and devotion. Hindus perform Hanuman pujas to either give thanks to God for continuous good health and prosperity or to remove any difficulties, grief, sorrow or a likelihood or impending unhappiness in one’s path. Hanuman pujas are only performs on Tuesdays and Saturdays."

The ceremony was presided over by a Hindu priest and located on the floor of the living room. Some guests sat on the couches that had moved to another room or against the wall, but Anu wanted Gina and I to have the full experience so we sat barefoot, cross legged on sheets in front of the ceremony. The ceremony was beautiful. I wish I understood what was being said, but the ceremony was essentially a series of prayers, blessings and songs. Offerings of flowers were done, fire was lit, incense burned. From the small fragments of English that were spoken, I recognized connections to my religion - "from darkness to light" - when the fire was lit. Blessings were done with water, recognizing the senses and I wish I could remember the prayers that were said for each one because they were beautiful and universal (lips, ears, feet, etc). Anu's brother and sister-in-law had arranged the ceremony and assisted the priest by performing the offerings. I love that when he was doing an offering or arranging something, her hand was touching his as if the two hands were doing the one task and vice versa.

The final activity was a blessing from elders to the children of the family. They all took a plate adorned with flowers and a deis, and created three circles in the air before putting the plate down, touching the feet of their elder and touching their forehead as their elder placed their hand on the child's shoulder. This was especially moving and beautiful as I know it was the first celebration in Anu's house since the death of her mother and one blessing was missing from this routine.

At the end of the ceremony, two bamboo poles were brought into the house (interesting navigating them) and both ends were blessed and red flags tied onto them. These are then placed outside at the front of the house. You see these flags in front of houses all the time - so it's kind of neat that when I see these flags, I will know I was a witness to their ceremony.

I confess my foot fell asleep and was extremely painful so I tried to wiggle my toes and not keep my legs in one position too much - I noticed the priest and others present were doing something similar so I didn't feel too bad.

I would have been quite happy watching and participating in the ceremony, but no function is complete without food! And they certainly know how to feed you!! I ate off a water lily leaf with my hands - and I loved it!! The "dish" is called seven curry. And I hope I get this right, but the base is rice with dhal and it is served with pumpkin curry, potato and chickpea curry, khatahar curry, mango curry, spinach curry and achar - with puri which is like roti only not (better!). Anu teased me that I had to eat with my hands, but I know if I was really struggling than she would have let me use a spoon. I made out okay!! Anu's niece was very helpful teaching me how to eat (mix everything together - which I did after trying everything separately) and telling me her favourite (mango curry! mmmm). Just when I thought I couldn't eat anymore, they bring around the rice pudding for which you fold your leaf in half and eat off the back. It is similar to rice pudding at home though instead of just making it with milk, it is made with evaporated milk and sweet condensed milk, making it super sweet and rich!!

Afterward we enjoyed the breeze on the balcony and let our stomachs settle. A lovely afternoon.

1 comment:

Grey Eyed Girl said...

Sounds absolutely beautiful!!